Enjoying Our Coast
The Solent Coast is a popular recreational location for local day visitors and tourists from further a field. It is a unique region due to its history, natural scenery and coastal waters.
- It has a unique environmental and landscape setting, being an almost enclosed area of sea between the mainland and a large island;
- It is of international significance for wildlife, being one of the most important sites on the bird migration routes from the Arctic to Africa;
- It has a variety of views with a range of coastal landscapes including ancient fossil cliffs, heritage coast and areas of outstanding natural beauty, as well as the built environment offering examples of both old and new architecture;
- It is the UK's number one cruise port and one of the UK's main commerical ports at Southampton;
- It is the premier area for recreational boating in the UK
- It is an area rich in archaeology both marine and terrestrial;
- It has an important place in aviation history especially in the development of flying boat services;
- It has the largest native oyster fishery in the UK.
For information on the work that the Solent Forum undertakes on coastal recreation, please visit the recreation pages on our solentforum.org site.